MHSAA Catastrophic Accident Insurance

The administrator of the MHSAA-purchased catastrophic accident medical insurance plan for 2016-17 has clarified some insurance issues relative to transportation.

Under the MHSAA-purchased plan . . .

“Eligible student-athletes are covered while traveling directly to and from a scheduled event as a representative of the school while traveling in transportation sponsored by the school, and while participating in-season in an allowed activity under the direct supervision of a full-time school employee or coach designated by the school acting within the scope of his/her coaching duties in those sports for which the MHSAA provides a tournament series.”

The administrator has confirmed in writing that the meaning is to include school-provided transportation (school bus, school van, school vehicle) as well as a coach who is authorized by the school to drive student-athletes, and it includes transportation to a practice, scrimmage or contest.

The coverage does not cover or include a parent who is driving only his/her own son or daughter in a personal vehicle, nor does it cover a student who is authorized by the school to drive him-self/herself.

No advance authorization form is required. The accident claim form will determine if it was school-authorized transportation. It is prudent for schools’ written policies to authorize specifically if students and/or parents and/or coaches may provide transportation, and the conditions under which they may do so.

Please refer to 2016-17 MHSAA Handbook page 104 for an overview of the Catastrophic Accident Medical Insurance plan. If you have questions regarding the MHSAA-purchased plan, please contact Mark Uyl in the MHSAA office. The administrator of this plan is Bryan Cronen, First Agency, Inc., 5071 West H Avenue, Kalamazoo, MI 49009-8501. Phone: 269-381-6630. Fax: 269-381-3055. Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Michigan High School Athletic Association
Phone: 517-332-5046
Fax: 517-332-4071

 Supplemental Insurance Info:
Mason County Central families wishing to purchase supplemental insurance should contact Kris Willick at the Central Business Office.  MASON COUNTY CENTRAL SCHOOLS INSURANCE POLICY SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDES COVERAGE FOR ATHLETICS.
Sports Physicals for 2016 / 2017
All students wishing to participate in Middle School or High School athletics during the 2016/2017 school must have a physical on file dated on or after April 15, 2016 per Michigan High School Athletic Association.  Any questions you can contact the Athletic Department @ 231.757.4748.
We will NOT have the traditional $10 physical offered to student athletes this spring for the 2016/17 school year.  Unfortunately it has become to big of a liability for the medical community to continue this practice in the the school.
We do have an agreement with Dr. Michelle Kuster of All Access Care in Ludington to offer a $30 physical for MCC student athletes.  Families simply have to do the following:
  • Go to
  • Click on the BLUE appointment tab and make an appointment
  • When the family arrives for the appointment, simply announce that you are there for a MCC sports physical
Dr. Kuster will email the completed physical card to MCC.
  • All Access Care does NOT accept insurance
  • All physicals for the 2016/17 school year must be dated April 15, 2016 or later


Print Email

Counselors Corner

Current Scholarship Opportunities
Dual Enrollment agreement
Financial Aid Updates
College credit transfer information
American Association of University Women


Frequently Asked Questions


  • Which tests do high school students need to take?


9th grade: Freshmen will take the 9th grade PSAT.


10th grade: Sophomores will take the 10th grade PSAT. They can also take the COMPASS if they plan to dual enroll as juniors.


11th grade: Students can take the PSAT which is a practice for the SAT and attached to the National Merit Scholarship.

The M-STEP is required for all juniors. This includes the SAT, Work Keys and M-STEP. Other optional tests include ACT, ASVAB (for both career planning and military entrance) and the COMPASS for dual enrollment. Please see Mrs. Vidak with any questions regarding these tests.


12th grade: seniors may want to consider re-testing SAT for college entrance purposes or scholarships. The higher the score, the more money may be attached to college scholarships.


  • How do we afford all of these tests?


Students that are eligible for free or reduced hot lunch are also eligible for assistance with these expenses. There are “fee waivers” available for the ACT, SAT and PSAT. Students just need to see the guidance counselor for this form. The M-STEP, COMPASS, and ASVAB are free to all students.


  • What about help with college applications?


Students can come to the guidance office anytime for help filling out their college applications. They will also help with parchment information so that transcripts can be sent promptly. Again, students eligible for free or reduced hot lunch just need to notify Mrs. Vidak so she can attach a letter requesting that the college “waive” the application fee. Most colleges will honor this request.


  • When do we start looking for scholarships?


All throughout high school, students should be exploring their career and college options. Junior year is the perfect time to start looking for scholarships. Some are available for juniors; however, most are for the seniors. It is still helpful to know what is out there, when it will be due and decide which scholarships you want to apply for.


  • What about financial aid?

New for the fall of 2016 the FAFSA application will be available in early October. The FAFSA is the national form that is filled out by everyone requesting financial aid for college including loans, grants or work study. MCC has a financial aid workshop every year to explain this process and help answer questions. The Financial Aid Department from West Shore Community College presents our workshop.


Print Email

More Articles ...